[mythtv-users] Restarting/Waking the back-end remotely

Craig Read craigread at csi.com
Tue Dec 28 08:16:45 UTC 2004

I've got a problem where the backend keeps crashing on me.  I'm assuming
it's due to reception problems, but I haven't had a chance to
investigate the problem any further.

To initially get around the problem I configured the WakeOnLan settings
to run "sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start" as a wake command.  I
first used visudo to allow the mythtv user to execute
"/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend".  This worked ok from the backend machine,
but I then started using another Linux machine (in my home office) as a
front end.  This setup obviously won't work on a remote machine.

Unfortunately, the command to run is stored in the database (making it
global between front-end and back-end machines).  So I had to find
something that would work from both machines.

So I decided to work out how ssh could be used to run the command.  I
found a decent explaination here:
http://atoms.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/Elements/CompMeth/Comp_Methods_ssh2.html.
I used these instructions to allow root to login remotely from my office
front-end to my backend machine (I also needed to add the key generated
for the backend machine to the authorized_keys2 file so it could
remotely run the command on itself).  I then changed the "Wake Command"
to "ssh root at mythtv /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start" and now my backend
in my living room and the front-end in my office can both "remotely"
start the backend deamon when it dies.

There is only problem one with this.  If the backend isn't running and I
try to go into the "view recordings" screen, I still get a message about
the backend not running and I don't get a program list.  If I hit escape
and go back in, I get the listing on the 2nd go.  Anybody have any idea why?

Craig...