[mythtv-users] [ICH/i8x0 | Problems getting SPDIF Out Working - Help!]

Tue Dec 28 02:25:35 UTC 2004

Howdy,

I am wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction to help me get
my digital out working properly.

I have trawled websites and mailing lists for info in asound.conf's etc etc
and have played with this for a fair while.

I am running Fedora Core 2 with kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2, along with mythtv and
its associated bits installed from rpm from atrpms.net.

My system is an Open XCube, which has an intel ICH (i8x0) sound card with
optical digital out.

If I use the asound.conf found here
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo , subsituting hw:0,2 for
hw:0,4 becuase my digital out appears to be on device 4 :

[root at mythtv root]# aplay -l
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 -
IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
[root at mythtv root]#

Now this is where it gets a little wierd : If I attempt to play anything
back through plug:digital, I get nothing out the optical out at all.

I created a stereo 48000hz file and tried using aplay to play directly to
hw:0,4 :

#aplay -D hw:0,4 /video/music/test.wav

I get nothing.

Just for the heck of it, I tried

#aplay -D hw:0,0 /video/music/test.wav

and SOUND STARTED PLAYING THROUGH MY DIGITAL OUT???

Interestingly  :

#aplay -D analog /video/music/test.wav

Works fine through my digital output also ???

But it wont play anything except 48000hz stereo files so I'm assuming
something is broken or not working with dmix here.

Does anyone know if there is there some default Fedora Core 2 stuff that I
should be aware of in regards to all of this?

I basically want to use my digital out for playing music through Mythmusic
so I need to get the dmix plugin working so it will upsample from 44100hz
mp3s.

Hopefully someone can suggest something to try here?

Thanks!

Michael.