[mythtv-users] PVR-350 on 4:3 and 16:9 screens

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Sun Dec 26 10:31:59 UTC 2004

Stroller wrote:
> On Dec 25, 2004, at 10:04 pm, Steve Davies wrote:
>> Steve Davies wrote:
 >>
>>> With a "regular" videocard, it is possible to tell X that the aspect
>>> ratio of the output is 16:9, and the picture will auto-scale to fit
>>> in this window. Is this also true of the PVR-350's TV output? I
>>> capture UK DVB transmissions, and these are a mixture of 4:3 and 16:9
>>> streams, often changing mid-stream.
>>
>> Replying to my own post - It looks from the code and what docs I can
>> find as if the MPEG stream will fill the 4:3 picture, and can be
>> stretched/unstretched by the TV as desired, but will not be otherwise
>> scaled by the PVR-350 (I assume it does not output the VBI aspect
>> ratio indicators)
[snip]
> I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but maybe the "Wide-screen
> tweaks" section of <http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/tips.php> would be
> helpful for you?

Thanks Stroller, that page did make interesting reading, but I have
already got widescreen working with standard videocard outputs - The
issue is that I want to use a PVR350, and I can find lots of questions
but few answers about how this card handles widescreen, or more
importantly, MIXED aspect content.

I am tempted to buy one and make it work myself - The ivtv driver and
underlying hardware seems to support all of the required scaling and
res-change calls, so I would just need to do some experiments to see if
it works how I think it does.

Regards,
Steve

Steve Davies                   steve at one47.co.uk

PGP Fingerprints:
DH/DSS : 5D85 8164 91D7 E9CC 4F80  842B AB86 93D9 8938 7612
RSA    :      4E2E E60F 3D76 9E7E  70F9 901B 70FA 56C8
RSA4096: 02BE 5C0E EFA2 E1E4 EA89  C9CC 1E4F F654 3BC7 B65E