[mythtv-users] nVidia DVI out?

Simon Williams ultim8fury at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 18:26:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:54:45 +0000, Simon Williams <ultim8fury at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have a cheapo MX440 (no external TDMS) and a Sharp 45" LCD (LC45GX6U).
> > It has 2 DVI connections. One to an interface box and another from the
> > interface box to the display.
> >
> > I used the read-edid stuff at
> > http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/ to get the edid info.
> > The interface box reports 1280x768p and 1024x768p while if I unplug the
> > interface box and connect directly to the display, it reports
> > 1920x1080p. With the "Monitor" section  generated by read-edid added to
> > my xorg.conf, X & mythtv just work for these resolutions.  On bootup,
> > the bios even seems to mostly recogize the edid preferred resolution and
> > do proper console output. I thnk there is some dependency on the
> > computer/tv power up sequence. But if fails so seldom that I haven't
> > found a pattern yet.
> >
> > I'm running nvidia's 6111 drivers. The 6629 drivers produce a wierd
> > horizontally overlapped display. I don't know why yet.
>
> I have the UK version of this panel ( LC-45GD1E ) slightly different
> connections but probably the same panel. I haven't got my 5200 to work
> via DVI-D yet at 1920x1080 I hadn't considered using edid data from
> the panel itself. As you say the media box reports very low res via
> EDID/DDC2.
>
> I'll give the direct approach a try and see what happens.

------Update------

Just tried driving the panel directly via DVI-D using the same
ATSC-1080i modeline I have been using fine under analogue connection,

It works. 100% picture is definitely clearer now all I need is a gefen
DVI switcher. cos I can't be doing with unpluging cables every couple
of hours.

Thanks for the idea. Altough EDID data was useless from the panel
itself the result is good.

Tried a progressive version of the same modeline and its a no-go the
image is stuck at the bottom of the screen and repeats itself 2.5
times. still I've made progress.