[mythtv-users] Nvidia DVI vs ATI

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 24 09:05:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 07:13:17PM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 12:32:19PM -0800, nate s wrote:
> > > But yes, I would like to see DVI working from linux.  I mean I have
> > > seen it (With a Radeon 9200se) but the drivers can't go more than 1600
> > > wide for xvideo as of now, and the proprietary drivers are limited to
> > > older kernels than I have, or so they say..
> >
> > I haven't heard anything about ati's drivers not running on new
> > kernels.  I'm currently running ati-drivers 3.14.6 on 2.6.9-nitro4
>
> I'm trying to get this working on my machine which was running 3.9.0
> just fine; .14.6 is giving me a blue band where the video belongs.
>
> Xvideo is there, according to xdpyinfo; no untoward messages in the
> logs; aspect matches properly; could it be putting it on the wrong
> display?

A thread I read elsewhere suggested there is some actual limitation
in the hardware at 1600 pixels wide, even though the software is
claiming it can do wider, thus the bright band on the right hand side.

Is that what you are getting?

I don't know if the limitation is firmware or what.  If it's hardware,
then these cards are no good for 1080i.