[mythtv-users] RAID on Fedora Core 3?

Max Waterman davidmaxwaterman at fastmail.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 07:57:06 UTC 2004

I am now thinking [1] of making do with 2x 2-channel PATA cards and
putting drives on as slave devices too.

If I make my 2 4-drive RAID 5 arrays like this

card 0 --- channel 0 --- master md0 #0
         |             |
         |              - slave  md1 #0

         -- channel 1 --- master md0 #1

                        - slave  md1 #1

card 1 --- channel 0 --- master md0 #2
         |             |
         |              - slave  md1 #2

         -- channel 1 --- master md0 #3

                        - slave  md1 #3

with one array's devices as master and the other array's device as slave.
My theory is, if I am fairly sure that I will only be accessing one array
at a time, then the devices will always have their own channel and performance
won't suffer.

However, I am lead to believe that slave devices work more slowly than master
devices. Is this correct?

Assuming I am correct, with RAID-0 this might work OK, since all the channels
are equal performance, but I am not sure of the load for RAID-5 - is the load
equal on all the devices in a RAID-5 array?

Max.

[1] I don't want to afford two 4 channel card at the moment - they're much
more expensive that the simple EIDE cards :( So, I think I'll try it this
way and see how it does - for now.