[mythtv-users] nvtv users - non-root cmd line use?

Dave Caplinger dent at cox.net
Fri Dec 24 05:42:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 16:05 +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that overscan is when the window doesnt fill
> the physical screen? I have the opposite problem where I run X at a
> default of 800x600 and the windows are too big for the screen so I
> have to go back to 1024x768. I found a line in my xorg.0.log file
> which says "Virtual screen size determined to be 1024 x 768" which I
> think may be the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas
> anyone?

Overscan is when you the picture you display on your TV is (slightly)
larger than the physical dimensions of the TV screen.  (The outer edges
of your screen will in fact be 'off-screen' and not visible.)

What you are describing sounds like maybe you have a virtual screen size
defined to be larger than your actual screen resolution.  If you change
your xorg.conf file to use 800x600 for display on your TV, be sure to
change your virtual screen size to 800x600 as well, or better yet,
comment out the line that says

	virtual	1024x768

in your xorg.conf file.  (If you don't have such a line, then just
ignore me since I'm just guessing anyway.)

If you're displaying on a TV, there's probably no point in using
1024x768 resolution.  Even 800x600 is overkill; it's just that in my
case, 800x600 seems to overscan better (minimizing the amount of
off-screen stuff yet still filling the TV screen) than 640x480.

--
Dave Caplinger