[mythtv-users] Freeing up space for Christmas

Mark Crutch markc at qsiuk.com
Thu Dec 23 13:15:02 UTC 2004

A few days ago there was a thread about freeing up some storage space
temporarily. One of the best suggestions I saw was to copy the larger
files to a second hard drive and set up a symlink to them.

Unfortunately I can't do that, as I run MythTV on a SFF PC which doesn't
have space for a second drive. However, I wondered about doing the
following:-

1) Copy selected files to CD-R/W or DVD-R/W
2) Zero the corresponding files on the hard drive
3) Use the extra space over Christmas
4) When there is sufficient space again, copy the files back, replacing
the zeroed versions

Would this work? Will Myth ignore the fact that the files have changed, or
will it try to adjust the database accordingly? And if it does adjust
things, will it readjust them correctly when the full-size files are put
back?

Note that my SFF PC is not very powerful (a Mini-itx board), so I don't
want to go down the route of transcoding in order to move the files to DVD
permanently.

Mark