[mythtv-users] commercial PVRs for myth?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Dec 22 18:50:56 UTC 2004

Myth is a PVR.  If you are talking commercial stuff, the
tivo option is not hackable to run Myth.  Some of the Windows
MCE boxes can certainly work with Myth.  Actually, I ran across
this one

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2900090&cat=SYS

and think I'm going to order one for a combined
frontend/backend.  So yes, hopefully it will work for
hacking...

Pretty decent form factor and has all the stuff I need
for playing DVDs as well as doing capture duties
from a slave backend perspective.  Hard disk is a little
too small for any kind of real storage, and too big to have just
an OS partition on, so I imagine that will be coming out
in favor of a couple of 20gb drives and some 400gb
drives...

And the modem will be the next thing to come out.

Paul

>>> Dave.Howorth at acm.org 12/22/2004 12:26:55 PM >>>
Greetings,

I'm planning to start digitising my house entertainment using mythtv.

I'm based in the UK and use the Freeview DVB-T transmissions. My main
TV, hi-fi and the antenna are all in my lounge, so I definitely need a
myth box there. I expect I'll also have a main disk server somewhere
else where noise isn't as much of an issue, and smaller boxes located
with other TVs.

So the box in the lounge needs to have a couple of DVB-T tuners and be
able to output video and audio. It should have some processing power
and
  probably will be easier to engineer if it has a bit of disk. If so,
it
should be possible to record to that disk.

That sounds to me like the description of a PVR and it appears I can
buy
a commercial one much more cheaply than trying to assemble one from
parts. Which sounds a bit like the situation with Linux and wi-fi DSL
routers. So do any of the commercially available PVRs come with
standards-based network interfaces? Or has anybody hacked a commercial
PVR to run myth? (like the WRT54G router runs OpenWrt)

Thanks, Dave