[mythtv-users] low-temperature hard drives

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Wed Dec 22 15:59:03 UTC 2004

Preston Crow wrote:

>Besides the drives themselves, the big news is that drive manufacturers
>are taking heat issues seriously.  This makes sense even without the
>embedded market, as I would bet that a high percentage of their warranty
>replacements are from overheated drives.
>
>--PC

You know, I had a sneaky thought about this the other night - my
(MythTV) drives tend to fail within a year - so, if I double up next
time I buy, I should, in theory, have spares for next time it happens,
and can switch over to the new drives whilst the knackered ones are
being replaced :)

Can't really see any other way round it, and at least then I don't have
to pay for replacements!

Oh, and the drives are fully cooled, and mounted in heatsinks, just in
case anyone thinks I am cooking them - they stay pretty constant @ 35
degrees c, but are running all the time.

Cheers,

Richie