[mythtv-users] Enlighten me about 1080 "interlace"

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 21:05:18 UTC 2004

--- Joe Barnhart <joebarnhart at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:
>
> > When displayed in a 540p frame, bob deinterlacing
> > should look identical
> > to native 1080i, at least on a CRT with relatively
> > long-persistence
> > phosphor.
>
> This would only be true if the frame were displaced
> one scan line to "fill in" the resolution instead of
> overwriting it.  From what I see, the displacement
> does not occur, which makes diagonal lines more
> jaggy
> than they should be.

No, wait.  I think I get it now.  The TV SET is doing
the displacement of every other "540p" frame.  It
doesn't know any better, so it always shows
alternating frames, each shifted up or down.

So why does my resolution seem to suffer?  Could it be
because the "top" and "bottom" fields lose their
identity and get swapped?  Would that degrade the
picture or be harmless?