[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV-Out - Having Limited Success

Matt Mencel mr-mencel at wiu.edu
Tue Dec 21 20:21:52 UTC 2004

I'm running FC3 (2.6.9-1.681_FC3) and have used Jarod's HOWTO to get this
far.  My PVR-350 is fairly new and boasts the Type 47 tuner.

Last night I finally was able to successfully get SOMETHING on my TV.  I
went through the steps in Jarod's guide.  I was able to record a signal off
of /dev/video and play it back in mplayer...and also view it live and tune
to different channels using the ptune-ui applet.  I never got a clear signal
though.  I could see colors and see the picture shifting when something
changed on the screen, but it was all in thin diagonal strips going from the
upper left side to the lower right side...with lots of black interlaced
between and around the colored diagonals.

So I stopped messing with that and went on to trying to get it onto my TV.
When I start '/sbin/modprobe ivtv' my TV screen goes all green.  Then when I
start '/sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb' my TV gets alternating green/pink or
green/white snowyish stripes going diagonally down from upper left to lower
right.  Then I attempted to feed the PVR-350 input straight through to the
TV-OUT using 'dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k'.  As soon as I did
that I got a ghost image of the TV feed coming through behind the
green/pink/white stripes.  I could see outlines of people and objects but
definitely no details.  The audio was coming through just fine.

So now...that's where I'm at.  Has anyone seen similar issues to this that
might help me figure out the problem so I can get this going?

Thanks,
Matt