[mythtv-users] Plextor Mpeg4 Hardware Encoding & N00b Requesting Advice

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Dec 21 06:58:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:12:25PM -0800, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> No, not yet.  I just emailed them for a datasheet, but they won't supply
> unless you sign an NDA.  It's a WIS GO7007SB.  Their sales guy claimed
> that WIS was working on a binary API to be released early next yet.
> This chip is sweet because it outputs MPEG4 natively and appears fully
> programmable.  Apparently the windows software is lame.  Also it's not
> firewire, it's USB2, a cyprus semi chip.  If we could only get specs,
> I'm betting this thing would make an excellent input for Myth,
> especially since you could hook more than one much more easily than
> consuming PCI slots.

A review of the Windows version claimed that mp4 recording took 30%
of his CPU, so they must be having the host computer do some work.

But yes, in a way USB tuners meet my vision of the ideal PVR for the
consumer, where they can add components as they need them just by
plugging them in.   Tuners, decoders, disks, etc.  I prefer ethernet and
IP to USB though, since if you want to just have a decoder you slap
right on a TV (with IR receiver/blaster), you want to be able to put it
on ethernet, as you may nto even have a computer in the room.

The mediamvp is an example.