[mythtv-users] Enlighten me about 1080 "interlace"

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 04:45:42 UTC 2004

> I thought I understood this interlace stuff but Myth
> is challenging my concept of interlace vs.
> non-interlace video.
>
> I have a TV capable of displaying 1920x1080
> interlaced.  It's a CRT based RPTV from Pioneer, if
> you care.  I have watched terrestrial broadcasts on
> HDTV and it looks breathtaking.  The image consists of
> two alternating 540-line frames, each 1/60 second,
> displayed at even and odd scan lines for 1080 unique
> lines of information.
>
> Now I get my Myth box running and it looks very, very
> good.  But not quite as good as my TV with a direct
> OTA receiver.  Why not?  I've set everything up as
> carefully as possible.  I'm on stock 0.16 Myth, I have
> an Intel 3GHz processor running an nVidia 5500 card
> with Xv.  The modeline is correct and the card is
> doing interlaced out, as evidenced by the flickering
> on 1-pixel lines with an xterm on screen.

I'm no expert on this at all, but I had always assumed the picture
will never be as good on MythTV as OTA direct to your TV as the video
has to be encoded and decoded. Inevitable some of the original picture
quality will be lost in that process, I would have thought. If it's
_almost_ as good perhaps that's all you can hope for.