[mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 20 23:28:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 04:49:40PM -0500, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> I think a more likely (or a least 'to-be-hoped-for') progression of
> events is that hardware encoder/chip technology/prices will advance to
> a point where a consumer-priced HD encoder card will be possible.
> Imagine: DVI in, real-time compressed to some kind of MPEG or other
> codec.  That's the gold ring.

Though of course they want to move to HDMI, eventually planning to be
rid of DVI.   Fortunately there will be DVI sets for some time to come
but they eventually want to start not giving them their premium content.

However, if they can get the mp4 hardware encoding going, the A to D
will be doable on the component, it will be a while before they can
refuse to give you component output.

They plan a different trick, one more likely to succeed.  Namely,
there will be PVRs available -- even standard in a few years -- from
all satellite and cable companies.  Customers demand it.   Locked, DRM
based PVRs that have the advantage of being much cheaper and higher
quality because all they have to do is manipulate the digital stream.

With those commonly available, the market for this high-end mpeg encoder
chipset becomes much smaller.  They will be made -- for professional video
work, and a few hobbyists.

In the end, re-digitizing HDTV that came in as mpeg is a kludge.  It
degrades quality and takes fancy equipment.   It's hard to win against
those who don't have to do it.