1394 and compressing analog Re: [mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 21:16:43 UTC 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 15:08, Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 01:19:46PM -0500, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Oops.  No matter, resolution isn't a big issue with me since I have
> > a 60" projection TV with only composite and RF antenna inputs, so a
> > high-def signal doesn't do much for me.  It's not likely that I'll
> > be in the market for a high-def set for some years.
>
> Better stay away from them.   Like the PVR/Tivo/Myth, Hi-def is one
> of those "hard to go back" things.  Once you watch a few shows in
> hi-def, your old TV and 480i shows in general look blurrier than they
> did before.
>
> Though I don't think it's as much of a must-have as a PVR (which is
> odd because it costs a lot more).  It varies on the type of show.
> Watching sitcoms in hi-def is nice.  Dramas are also nice.   Shows
> with cinematography like nature shows and travel shows are a major
> difference.  Sports can be a whole new experience especially if the
> camerwork is done assuming HDTV.

For me the big difference would be end-to-end digital content (i.e., no
issues with analog signal quality, luminance/chroma issues with TV
tuner chips, "faded" analog TV-out... just MPEG source content and
DVI-out, even at crappy ol' NTSC resolution would be a big step up for
me.  After that, HD content is just the icing on the cake :-)

-JAC