[mythtv-users] PVR250 or HD3000?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 20 20:33:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:08:04PM -0500, Preston Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 14:56, Michael J. Lynch wrote:
> > Other than cost, is there any reason to choose a PVR250 over a pchdtv
> > hd3000 since the latter can MPEG2 encode both NTSC and ATSC?
>
> You need to go back and do some more research, as the HD-3000 doesn't
> MPEG encode anything.  (ATSC is broadcast as MPEG, so no encoding is
> required by the recipient.)  Most HD-3000 users also use a PVR-250 card
> for NTSC.

The other reason for this is that the hd-3000, while it does have NTSC
capture (not compression) it only has one RF input on it, which you are
going to be putting on your OTA antenna.   So you probably won't have
much NTSC to encode.  You can use the s-video input, I have not actually
tried it yet, having bought a pvr-250 as you suggest.

Though I am right now quite disappointed with my pvr-250, in that the
input looks very noisy, like low signal, even though it is coming from
cable with a nice strong signal when I put it into the TV.