1394 and compressing analog Re: [mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Dec 19 23:30:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 13:00 -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:
> For extra credit you would interpret the remote control backchannel so the
> tv's remote control controlled myth.
>
> I don't know enough about firewire protocols to make this happen.

Actually, Stacey Son has already done this.  6200ch is already in
mythtv/contrib/

> The bad news is those firewire streams out of the cable box or satellite
> box are going to be encrypted and/or the box will refuse to send them
> to any device that doesn't have the authentication codes licenced from
> the oligopoly.  (ie. 5C etc.)   You won't get them for an open source
> box.

Yeah, but the same thing can be said for serial channel-changing, and
pretty much anything else that involves cable companies.

Right now, none of my channels (Bay Area, California) are encrypted.  If
I subscribe to the channel, I get the channel over firewire.  At least
for the HD channels I tested.

As far as I can tell, there are only 2 ways for cable users to get HDTV
into Myth:

1. HD2000/3000 with QAM drivers
2. Firewire

Option 1 drivers don't exist yet, so test captures can't be done.
Option 2?  I can capture already.  It's just not in Myth.  It seems like
a faster way of getting more HD users on myth in the short term until
the (option 1) drivers are ready.  As it turns out, they're also the
only possibly likely ways to watch HD for those who can't put up
antennae for HD.  (ie - I live in an apartment!)

	-I