[mythtv-users] MythTV noob

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 23:16:23 UTC 2004

> Hello All,
> I'm in the process of reading the documentation and getting a
> MythTV setup. I'm getting ready to purchase my hardware and I
> have a few questions to make sure I understand the documentation.
> I'm thinking about getting two Hauppauge PVR-250 capture
> cards so that I can record (or watch) more than one channel
> at a time. I also need another card that has video-out,
> correct? What card would you all recommend for this?
> Also, what motherboard and cpu would you all recommend?
> Thanks,
> TJ

First off all of this is just my opinion. For a video card I would use one
of the mid-range nvidia graphics card. Select one that has the tv out
options you need. As far as a motherboard goes, go with a athlonXP and a
nvidia based board. You dont need a blazing fast system, a 2200+ is plenty
fast.  I am sure there are other good choices, these are just the ones that
worked well for me.

My system is a combined front/backend in the main room with 2 xbox remote
frontends in the bedrooms.