[mythtv-users] Adding extra recorder disk space for Christmas !

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 17 19:34:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 05:35:54AM -0500, William wrote:

> This is just my opinion, your milage may vary. The way I would add the extra
> drive is to add the drive and then create a LVM. Add the new drive to the
> LVM and then transfer all your files to the new drive. Once the old drive is
> empty you can reformat it and add it to the LVM. That is how I added a
> second drive to my system. Once everything is transfered change the
> recording location to your new drive group.
>
> I see you are using ext3, you will probably get a decent improvement in
> performance if you set up your LVM with either xfs or jfs. Both of those
> handle large files better than ext3.

Just to repeat, since this suggestion has been made several times and I
guess in the flood of messages in this list folks are not reading the
earlier messages -- for this particular application, you need a filesystem
you can shrink back down, which xfs won't do, but ext2 will.   JFS can't
be shrunk either.

I must admit, the symlink plan (mount your new filesystem, point your
myth box to that new directory, symlink in all the old files to the new
directory) is the quickest and simplest, though you will not be able
to delete shows directly from the old disk until you reverse the process.