[mythtv-users] Consecutive programs, dual tuners

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 17 19:29:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 07:59:23AM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <c92a759804121619017e50e554 at mail.gmail.com>
>           Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would have thought it was generally better to miss the first minute
> of a show rather than the last, which would suggest that waiting for the
> first show to finish before reusing the tuner would be a better choice.

Alas, there isn't a firm rule.  This is another thing that calls for
a collaborative "show aware" database, built by user votes.   Users
would vote (configure for their own machines and share with others)
attributes like:
    a) This show seems to often start/end early/late by N minutes
    b) The first/last few minutes of this show are generally disposable,
       either commercials (most disposable), theme song (fairly disposable)
       scenes from last week / next week (disposable if you must)
    c) The first/last few minutes are highly valuable (important show intro,
	final words, moment of zen etc.)
    d) This particular timeslot is always a re-run of the previous show
    e) Notes from people who watched quickly on the east coast to aid those
	on the west coast about a particular episode.
    f) Notes on the location of commercials.

Ideally, your listings organization should be the one improving the network
listing data with information like this, that is where the best economy
of scale is.  Of course, we are not paying them so not much motive
there.

Anyway, armed with the above information, Myth could make highly accurate
consecutive program decisions.  It should of course be configured to
auto-pad all shows (setting the starting point at the listed start time,
presumably about 1 minute into the show) in both directions, and figure
out something clever when two abut.