[mythtv-users] RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations for mythbackend machine

Greg Cope gregcope at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 07:52:55 UTC 2004

Just 2 pence worth to the discussion;

a) Hardware solutions like the 3ware ones only need to use the PCI bus
once for a read/write, whilst the software solution will need to chat
to each disk controller for each disk as I understand.  On most file
servers this is not an issue, but might be on a monster mythbox!

b) I've used software raid without issue for years - and have moved
disks from hosts that died without issue.  So unless you have muliple
controlers beware a controler dying and leaving you stranded.

c) Never underestimate the power of a good restoration (and associated
good backups, but you do test you backups with a restore right!)

d) These days get a USB enclosure with a 200~300Gb drive, or use
anotherhost to send backups to... "cheap as chips " compared to DAT
tapes, ot the hassel of loads of DVD's - plus you can take the USB
drive off site, or remove the disk and cycle it with another.  The
realms of backup parania are amazing.

Less than 1 pence (sterling) per point, which has to be a bargain,
even with the dollar at such a low rate!

Greg