[mythtv-users] How to add more recording disk space: Christmas is coming !

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 17 02:10:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:23:21AM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> No one punted, it's more like no one suited up. This was one
> of my first suggestions ever on this list:

Wasn't trying to be critical, you can't do all at once.

> I agree with Terry that the 'RecordFilePrefix' could be a regular
> colon separated path list. To open a file for read, it would just
> need to opendir on each until a match is found. Only the local
> backend needs to know the full path to a file (as it should be)
> so the full paths don't need to be passed around ar stored in the
> DB. For write, there are several things that could be done.

I don't know if there is that much harm in putting them in the DB, it
just means if you move a file from one fs to another you have to tell
the system.

I would really love a different file naming scheme anyway, including
elements from the program name etc.

> - Even better, the free space could be checked for each dir then
> it could use the one with the most free space.

Related to this is the idea of classes of programs which have pools
of space.  Like Tivo suggestions which use spare space, and are immediately
deleted for a real recording.

You can relate this to filesystems, that one class of program goes
on the keep-forever disk, shorter term stuff etc.

> home dir fileservers or news servers. However, for this type
> of application where large files are streamed, any filesystem
> tricks to optimize for other types of applications will under
> perform simply having a single partition disk with one video
> file being written and no other head movement.

Actually, since video is typically no more than a few megabytes
per second, which is well within the capacity of modern disks, I
would let the writing task be left to the filesys.