[mythtv-users] Re: Question about Chris's new tuners patch.

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Dec 17 01:04:22 UTC 2004

I did this patch several weeks ago and made all the mistakes.  I ended
up rebuilding the kernel and all the modules.  However, somebody
suggested doing the following (I wish I had thought of this!)

1- Locate your existing tuner.o file and write it down.
#locate tuner.o
- Mine is located here:
/lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/drivers/media/video/tuner.o

2- cd to the location of the tuner source code.  Mine is here:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.27/drivers/media/video/tuner.c

3- Patch the tuner.c and tuner.h files
- Note - Pretty much follow the ckennedy instructions, but the path in
the patch was not correct for my box.  I had to have the patch file on
the same directory as the existing source file for the patch to find the
tuner.c and tuner.h files.

4- cd to /usr/src/linux
5- run make_modules
- do not run make_modules_install !!

6- Rename your original file to something (tuner.o.sav).  Copy the new
tuner.o file to the installed location (from step 1 above).

Warning - Several people have horsed-up their installation when trying
to install this patch, but I think this process works.  Things went
wrong for me when I did make_modules_install, which should have worked,
but that's another story!  Good luck,
Don