[mythtv-users] My DVB recordings are huge (70min = 35GB)

htpc htpc at treblid.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 16 04:59:30 UTC 2004

My mythbox is acting funny :(...

I am in Australia, my system is Mandrake 10.1 (Community Edition), two
TwinHan VP DVB-T cards, Sound Blaster audigy and my channels are tuned
to Standard Definition TV (SDTV). MythTV is built from CVS.

When I did a recording in Myth, I noticed that the file is extremely
huge - 70 mins of content took up around 35GB, that's like 500MB a second!

Using dvbstream, 1s of footage only takes 1mb.... where did the other
499Mb come from?

When I try to transcode (via mythtranscode), the nuv.tmp file will grow
larger than the 35GB recording(My HDD only has around 73+GB free), fills
up the entire volume, and deadlocks (printing "cannot write to buffer"
or a similiar msg to the console)...

I didn't touch the recording profiles at all as the docs says "For DVB
and HDTV cards, no further configuration is required after setting up
the card using the 'setup' program."...

Anyways to reduce the size of my recordings?? Thanx.

Regards.