[mythtv-users] Security concerns for my myth box

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Dec 16 00:26:44 UTC 2004

> I am behind a NAT router, have a dynamix IP but will use dynDNS, and I
> have port 80 blocked by ISP.  I plan to open SSH and a port for HTTP
> (1010 or 1080) so I can use MythWeb when out of the house.  I will
> obvisouly change my crappy root password when I get to opening the
> ports..

Do they also block port 443?  If not, why not just run over https?

Otherwise, leave your webserver running on port 80, and just use ssh to
tunnel port 80 through it:

ssh -L 80:localhost:80 your.ip

then once you're connected, just point your web browser to localhost,
and up will come mythweb.

Or did you mean that you were just going to open a port all the time for
mythweb, so you wouldn't need ssh to connect?  In that case, I'd
definitely suggest running https.  And make sure that root ssh login is
either disabled, or set to without-password (root login accepted only
with an ssh key).

-Chris