[mythtv-users] Graphics card output choices

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Dec 15 21:02:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 03:10:40PM +0000, Greg Cope wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know graphics cards have been done to death.
>
> I was wondering if it was worth getting one with DVI as well as DSub/S-video.
>
> Initally I plan to use and LCD monitor as a display (as my TV cannot
> accept S-video) is this wise.
>
> I then plan to get a new TV with all the associated connectors they
> come with, or a projector and go from there......

Many of the cards that output S-video also stick composite in there and
include a small adapter, that can probably drive your TV.

Most cards with DVI output do DVI-I which includes DVI-Analog and DVI-Digital
in the same plug.  DVI-Analog can be converted trivially to VGA, and you
can get adapters for under $10 if they didn't pack one with the card.

So get DVI-I, and you will be able to do your VGA, or your LCD panel, or
your HDTV (maybe)