[mythtv-users] New Custom Record

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Dec 15 20:43:53 UTC 2004

John Patrick Poet wrote:
> Since you and Donavan are discussing this, I am hoping that you will
> consider another plea I made here:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/92650?#92650
>
> This also has to do with duplicate detection.

There was some discussion off line about this at the time.
I'm sure this isn't the response you anticipated but I'd never
had any problem with multi-part shows in practice and I don't
see any situation that really needs a solution.

> I have seen at least one case where "Matching duplicates using subtitles
> and descriptions" is insufficient. It can happen when a show has
> multiple parts. The show name, subtitle, and description will all be
> the same for each of the parts. Even the "Program ID" is the same for
> each of the parts.

If you have programid's (DD or possible Sweden soon) the programid
is checked before any string matching. If there are programids,
each one will be recorded once even if the descriptive info is
the same or blank. It would only 'fall through' if it was checking
for oldrecorded episodes from before you had DD that didn't have
programids.

For TV series that have multi-part episodes, I've only ever seen
each part with a unique episode programid. This makes sense
because the the show's producer created different entities and
identified each of them. However, it is possible that a station
may show a long movie and split it across two nights. Here there
is only one entity created by the producer and so there is only
one MVXXXXXX0000 ID for that movie but there is a part 1 and a
part 2 for the station's split. When I looked before I had no
recurring series with matching programids and four or five split
movies in two parts. Today, I don't have any movies with two parts
but just one part 2 for "Angels in America". You can check this
with your own data:

mysql> select partnumber,programid,title from program where parttotal > 1 order by programid;

I see that every series (EP*) has a different, usually sequential,
programid for each part.

Now, if a movie is split in two, I don't think there is anything
that could be done that helps in any meaningful way. Movies are
normally recorded with Single or FindOne and would only record
one part. You need to consciously choose to record both parts.

Even if there was overhead imposed on all tens of thousands of
listing to account for the possibility of split movies, the
user would have to choose All or Channel when recording a movie
to have it record both parts then remove the recurring rule
after it has recorded. This just doesn't seem beneficial. The
user still would do best to Single record both parts when this
happens so there is no point to adding the overhead.

--  bjm