[mythtv-users] Re: Building a myth box, wanna look over my components?

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Wed Dec 15 20:22:39 UTC 2004

Mike Isely wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Gordon Rimac wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:21:36 -0600, Derek Gathright <drgath at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>NForce2 is bad?  Wow, really?  That what I've had others suggest to
>>>me.  Anyone else wanna chime in?
>>>

>>I had bad luck with an Abit NF7 (nForce2) board.  I was using it on my
>>backend and had system freezes frequently (hard lock).  It ended up
>>being the PVR-250 cards and/or the ivtv drivers.  Once I removed them
>>the NF7 has been rock solid as a front-end and the tuner cards have
>>been working fine in an ECS motherboard (SIS chipset) on my backend.
>

> You don't find it odd that the nForce2 rig had problems with that
> hardware?  This is actually an interesting datapoint.  One of my more
> recent unexplained hard lockups happened while testing a WinTV-Go card in
> my nForce2 system.  About ten seconds into recording a show the system
> locked up.  Maybe PCI access has something to do with the problems.  The
> CD writer-related lockups I've had would fit this because the IDE
> controller in that case is also a PCI card.

It's not that interesting because there was a well known problem with
NForce2 chipsets locking up under moderate IO.  This has been fixed in
all recent kernels.  There was some fixup required in their IO-APIC
hardware that could be worked around.  I'm running both 2.6.9 and 2.4.27
on NForce2 hardware with great success.  Infact my mythbackend has
regular uptimes over 30 days.

Try newer kernels, the ones that shipped originally with FC were
susceptible to this problem.

http://atlas.et.tudelft.nl/verwei90/nforce2/

Yan