[mythtv-users] Re: Building a myth box, wanna look over my components?

Gordon Rimac gordon.rimac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:01:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:21:36 -0600, Derek Gathright <drgath at gmail.com> wrote:
> NForce2 is bad?  Wow, really?  That what I've had others suggest to
> me.  Anyone else wanna chime in?

I had bad luck with an Abit NF7 (nForce2) board.  I was using it on my
backend and had system freezes frequently (hard lock).  It ended up
being the PVR-250 cards and/or the ivtv drivers.  Once I removed them
the NF7 has been rock solid as a front-end and the tuner cards have
been working fine in an ECS motherboard (SIS chipset) on my backend.

> I read through everything else and I thank you for your
> suggestions/experiences.  The "wife-proofing" and WAF will be a big
> factor, though not for me, but rather my dad, as this will be his box.
>  Which brings up the other question... while I've heard many people
> say their wives loves their myth boxes, has anyone has bad experiences
> with the novice of the house unable to ever grasp Myth?  I've had a
> partially functional myth box and it seemed extremely easy, but like I
> said... looking for maybe some other input here.

Unlike most of my techno-gadgets, my wife has become a big fan of
MythTV.  She loves the Via EPIA frontend I installed in the bedroom a
few weeks ago so much that she has given me the go ahead to axe the
Tivo on the main TV :)  One really nice side effect of Myth is that it
is handling TV/DVD/MP3/CD she no longer has to mess around with
selecting different inputs on the TV and receiver so things have
gotten alot simpler for her.