[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

Asciimonster asciimonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 15 09:02:42 UTC 2004

Brian May wrote:

>    Terrence> To mitigate the risk I recommend either RAID1
>
>Unfortunately, RAID1 will not help in the case the hard disk returns
>random data but fails to report an error.

Erroneus read data cannot be corrected in any way, so that's all in the
game. And that only corrupts a few files while a complete hard disk
crash just looses you entire info. And if I understand you correctly,
RAID1 *does* protect you againt that. Moreover the CRC checks on hard
disk makes it report an error before it get's the chance of reading the
wrong info.

Hmm,  I think I want a RAID in my new PC.