[mythtv-users] HDTV Output/Deinterlacing

Dave dbadia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 03:37:37 UTC 2004

Hi,
   I've been following this list for sometime now, paying particular
attention to those who are capturing/outputting HD
   I've seen a lot of posts from poeple telling others to turn on the
deinterlacer, or that playback is better with the deinterlacer on.
Given that the modelines I've seen are set to output 720p or 1080i,
what are we deinterlacing for?
   Assuming that the TV supports inputs of 720p and 1080i, can't the
original format just be passed straight to the TV?
   My thinking is (and I'm probably way off :) ) if the TV has a ATSC
tuner, and both 1080i and 720p pictures look "as expected", there
should be no loss in quality when feeding a 1080i or 720p input from a
vieo card.

What am I missing here?

As always, thanks!
Dave