[mythtv-users] Using v4lctl to optimise recording quality

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 23:40:58 UTC 2004

I read on http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-March/037866.html
that it's a good idea to use "v4lctl -c /dev/video0 setattr 'chroma agc' on"
to really improve colour quality.

I can run this no problem from the command line as root, but when it runs
from rc.local at boot up it segmentation faults. Any suggestions on how I
can work around this?

Also, do people generally agree that it's a good idea to use this or should
I not really bother?

Finally, when I run "v4lctl -c /dev/video0 list" I've noticed that the audio
mode is mono. Does this mean my recordings will all be in mono. Should I use
v4lctl to support stereo recordings? I've tried to do this but it doesn't
seem to change the setting from mono to stereo.

Regards,
Phill