[mythtv-users] OT: TiVo cracks down on grammar

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Dec 14 17:55:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:32:55AM -0600, Scott Carr wrote:
> > TiVo is cracking down on news organizations that use TiVo as a verb.
> > Granted they are protecting their trademark but it strikes me as funny.
> I would think they would want the advertising.  Oh well...

Trademarks are a funny thing.

They *have* to take affirmative action to protect them, or they slip,
into the public domain.

Like Aspirin.

Or Cellophane.

So it's a fight that, as a corporation, you want to fight as hard as
possible... and lose.  You do, as a businessman, in general actually
want the mindshare that comes from being a semi-generic term for an
action.

But you want to have it because you're the primary one in the market
(like Google).  TiVo, on the other hand, are likely nervous.  And we
likely *are* on their radar.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me