[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Dec 14 17:10:12 UTC 2004

Quoting "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com>:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 10:17:19AM -0500, cythraul wrote:
> > My Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (120 GB) has been running efficiently for
> > more then a year now. Tho, it's now as quiet as my two 40 GB Seagate
> > Barracuda IV that used to be in my backend -- now being used almost as
> > badly on my desktop.
>
> We have 3 of the 200GB models, 4 months, 24x7.
>
> So far, so good.
>
> But do remember that IDE drives aren't really built for 24x7 100% duty
> cycle applications, as SCSI drives are; that's why they're so cheap,
> by comparison.  It's not *just* manufacturing quantity.

The IDE drives in my Tivo's don't seem to have that problem.

This may simply be a case of consumer product deterioration. The drive
makers have been reducing their warranties lately. They clearly aren't
interested in standing behind their products for any reasonable amount
of time any more (regardless of how the drives are used).

Seagate specifically markets models with the older/longer warranties.
I thought that WD was also supposed to have such a line but I have not
seen it in retail outlets.