[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Tue Dec 14 16:13:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Mark J. Small wrote:
> As a VERY small dealer, I haven't been very happy with the quality of WD
> drives in the last few years.  I've seen too many come back dead, and
> many more come back very noisy.  These are mostly 20 and 40 GB BB or EB
> drives. I've switched to using Samsung as much as possible.  I haven't
> hit a bad one yet.  Of course, its only been a year since I started
> using them, and the next two years may teach me otherwise.

Out of the 8 Samsung drives I've purchased in the last 2 years, 4 have
gone dead (two are waiting for the UPS guy to pick them up and get them in
for RMA.)

I've had slightly better luck with Western Digital drives, about the same
luck with Hitachi drives, and good luck with Seagate drives, although I
don't have enough of them to be a real good measure. Basically, I just buy
the drives with the best warranties now (both Samsung and Seagate are 5
year, IIRC.)

This is why I just run RAID5 on boxes where I don't want my data to go
away, and do backups.. :)