[mythtv-users] a few questions about startup process

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Dec 14 13:41:41 UTC 2004

On 12/14/2004 08:07 AM, Michael Starks wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 22:20 -0500, Noel Murphy wrote:
>

>>I have been following Jarod's guide for setting up my FC3 mythbox.
>>
>>I have 1 sort of working, however not 100%.
>>
>>First off, I've added the lines:
>>
>># ivtv modules setup
>>  alias char-major-81 videodev
>>  alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>>
>>to my /etc/modprobe.conf file however upon reboot, the ivtv drivers are
>>not loaded (at least live tv doesn't work and there is nothing in
>>/var/messages to indicate it did load)
>>

>I had to put mine in rc.local.  It worked after that.

Interesting.  The only problem with this is, at least in FC3, rc.local
runs after all the other init scripts.  Which means if you are
automatically starting mythbackend with the mythbackend script the ivtv
module won't load until after mythbackend starts.  What I did is modify
the mythbackend script to automatically modprobe ivtv if it isn't
already there.

Add the following lines to /etc/init.d/mythbackend in the start()
function after echo -n $"Starting $prog: ":

ivtv=`lsmod | grep '^ivtv' | cut -d' ' -f1`
if [ "X$ivtv" != "Xivtv" ]; then
  modprobe ivtv
fi

Those of you with bttv cards can also do:

bttv=`lsmod | grep '^bttv' | cut -d' ' -f1`
if [ "X$bttv" != "Xbttv" ]; then
  modprobe bttv
fi

I have both of these in my mythbackend script because of the pcHDTV
HD2000 and dual PVR-250.

--
David