OT: most TV's 720p or 1080i (was: Re: [mythtv-users] Very slight jitter on high power machine)

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Dec 14 13:02:37 UTC 2004

On 12/14/2004 03:37 AM, Brad Templeton wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 11:13:46PM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>

>>>Well, not quite since my TV, like most, is only 720 lines, so I was never
>>>using it all, but you get the idea.
>>>

>>I don't think most TVs are 720 lines.
>>

>Indeed, almost all HDTVs sold today are 720 lines native resolution.
>There are some very expensive ones that truly have 1080 lines.
>
>This is particularly true of almost all DLP and LCD rear projection TVs,
>if ou find one with more than 720 lines you are paying $6,000 or more.
>
>With Plasma TVs, most are just 480 to 525 lines -- not even HDTV at
>all, just EDTV.   Plasma TVs with 720 lines cost about $6,000.
>
>Front projectors outside of moviehouses are usually just 720 or 768
>lines.   Recently some 1280 x 768 projectors have come on the market
>at decent prices.   I don't know what a full 1080 line front project
>costs.
>
>CRT projection is harder to measure.  CRT with 1200 or even 1400 lines
>are common -- your computer CRT probably is one.   Large CRTs with
>that many lines are less common.  Sony makes one with 1400 lines.
>CRT projectors vary on how many lines they do, but generally people
>find the 720 line DLPs superior to the 1080 line rear projection CRTs
>for a variety of reasons.   The CRTs can look softer even with their
>additional lines.   I have not tracked the resolution of the CRT projectors
>you can buy out there.  People are buying DLPs now for higher contrast,
>brightness, lighter weight and no need for calibration.
>
>LCoS is quite expensive, I don't know if there are any 1080 line units.

Due to their price and how long they have been around, I would imagine
that the CRT rear-projection would be the most popular.  I bought my
1080i rear-projection about 2 1/2 years ago.  At least around here
rear-projection 1080i is more popular although DLP and LCD rear
projections (and to a lesser extent plasmas) are starting to come on
strong lately.

Hmm, in this email you change the phrase "like most" which you have used
in a few emails to "sold today".  Ok, we understand now.  Thanks ;-)
--
David