[mythtv-users] Very slight jitter on high power machine

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Dec 14 08:37:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 11:13:46PM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Well, not quite since my TV, like most, is only 720 lines, so I was never
> > using it all, but you get the idea.
>
> I don't think most TVs are 720 lines.

Indeed, almost all HDTVs sold today are 720 lines native resolution.
There are some very expensive ones that truly have 1080 lines.

This is particularly true of almost all DLP and LCD rear projection TVs,
if ou find one with more than 720 lines you are paying $6,000 or more.

With Plasma TVs, most are just 480 to 525 lines -- not even HDTV at
all, just EDTV.   Plasma TVs with 720 lines cost about $6,000.

Front projectors outside of moviehouses are usually just 720 or 768
lines.   Recently some 1280 x 768 projectors have come on the market
at decent prices.   I don't know what a full 1080 line front project
costs.

CRT projection is harder to measure.  CRT with 1200 or even 1400 lines
are common -- your computer CRT probably is one.   Large CRTs with
that many lines are less common.  Sony makes one with 1400 lines.
CRT projectors vary on how many lines they do, but generally people
find the 720 line DLPs superior to the 1080 line rear projection CRTs
for a variety of reasons.   The CRTs can look softer even with their
additional lines.   I have not tracked the resolution of the CRT projectors
you can buy out there.  People are buying DLPs now for higher contrast,
brightness, lighter weight and no need for calibration.

LCoS is quite expensive, I don't know if there are any 1080 line units.