[mythtv-users] skip commercials?

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 01:29:34 UTC 2004

>Is it possible to skip recording of commercials?  I'm interested in
>purchasing a PVR-250/350; is this device capable?
>
>How do devices that support this feature detect commercials?  I wonder
>if it has something to do with the rating system -- I think I noticed
>my Radeon 9700 AIW (in Windows) display the rating before and after
>commercials.  It's been a long time since I've used it though.

The commercial detection algorithms are built into MythTV not the capture
card. When the program has finished recording I believe a program runs over
it which flags the commercials. This is based on things like detecting blank
frames, scene changes and stuff like that. It's not based on displaying the
rating.

Then when you watch it it either pops up a commercial detected message on
screen or skips it automatically, depending on your preferences. In
Australia a few of us have been having problems with the accuracy of the
commercial detection so I don't have auto-skip set.