[mythtv-users] [OT] how do you defragment a xfs formatted LVM?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Dec 13 23:20:30 UTC 2004

> Should I be performing some type of defragmentation on my LVM? The drive
> seems to be thrashing around quite a bit more recently and fragmentation
> comes to mind from my windows experience.

afaik, none of the *nix filesystems need to be defragmented.  they're
all pretty good about keeping fragmentation down below 1%.

"thrashing around" could just be the filesystem shuffling things around
to prevent fragmentation.  or maybe they just hit some kind of "full"
threshhold that ends up with more noisy operations.

-Chris