[mythtv-users] New Custom Record

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Dec 13 23:02:10 UTC 2004

Donavan Stanley wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:01:13 -0800, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>
>>Brad Templeton wrote:
>>

>>As it stands now, myth's "Record new episodes only" generally
>>sees generic episodes as out of date and marks then as repeats.
>

> I'm not sure where you got that idea...

>From the source code ;-), actual experience, and pointing it out
to you in a previous discussion as something you may want to
consider.

> The new episode only recording
> doesn't care if it's a generic epsiode or not.  The only thing it
> cares about is the previously shown flag and/or the orginal air date.

Generic episodes often have the premier date of the series in
the original air date field. Consequently, they get marked as
previouslyshown. Let's look at the poster child:

mysql> select title,description,seriesid,programid,originalairdate,previouslyshown from program where programid = 'SH2930530000' limit 1\G
          title: The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
       seriesid: SH293053
      programid: SH2930530000
originalairdate: 1999-01-11
previouslyshown: 1
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I personally believe that often where people think they want new
episodes only, what they really want is to not record all those
unidentified episodes over and over again and only want to record
when there is a new unique description. As it stands, your new
episode feature accomplishes this but doesn't allow recording
one each of older unique episodes.

I have been considering adding another dupin for no generics. For
example, The Sundance Channel is running a series of short
documentaries under the title "First Amendment Project".
There are several showings of each part but they've also had
many generic listings (fewer now than the past few weeks). I don't
care about the air dates and I don't want to record every single
unidentified episode. I just want to record one each of the
identified episodes. I'm doing this with a custom record for now.
I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile to add a dupin for this
because suspect that most people would see it as more confusing
than helpful.

--  bjm