[mythtv-users] OT: How to upgrade from FC2 to FC3 via apt-get

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 13 06:10:39 UTC 2004

On Sunday 12 December 2004 14:19, potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com wrote:
> I have setup my FC2 MythTV box using Jarod's great guide and I'd like to
> now upgrade to FC3. How can I do this via apt-get? I think I saw a how-to
> earlier on the list, but have been unable to find it.

Unfortunately, this is not something that seems to be particularly easy. The
shift to udev isn't something easily handled, so apt may end up telling you
it wants to remove half your system.

That said, I did finally upgrade my personal workstation from its FC2.5 state
to an outright FC3. I may give it another go with apt/yum as the upgrade
mechanism on another system (as the distro ages, more of the stuff is built
natively for it, upgrading isn't as messy), but what I ended up doing was
using the FC3 anaconda installer (boot off CD1) to upgrade the OS, then
cleaned up the pieces after that. Lots of apt-get fun (including several
apt-get removes and rpm -e's to get around dependency issues) to get things
playing nice again.

In theory, this should be pretty straight-forward if you don't have tons of
3rd-party add-ons like I do -- the biggest issues were with KDE Red Hat
packages, since anaconda wanted to install RH's own KDE 3.3 stuff, while I
already had KDERH's 3.3.

> Also, are there any
> special considerations with MythTV when doing such an update?

Not really. That part was cake.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jarod at wilsonet.com