[mythtv-users] Avermedia DVB-T 771 Remote issues

Simon Glynn simon at brucethecow.com
Mon Dec 13 05:15:00 UTC 2004

Jason,

I actually ended up performing a nasty hack to make it do what I wanted. I
modified the keyboard code file in /drivers/media/video/ir-kbd-gpio.c

In this file, I changed the key mappings in the avermedia_dvbt_remote
struct (sorry if the name isn't quite correct, I'm writing this from
memory) to map the problem buttons that I wanted to use, to keys in the
0-255 range (i.e. one byte key codes), as I think the problem is related
to them being more than 8 bit codes, and X not recognising the keyboard
for anything more than 8 bit codes. I suspect (on reading some other
posts) that making X use a mult-media keyboard (I assume an XF86Config-4
file change is required for that) would allow for codes > 255 but I'm not
sure about that.

So summary of the above is (If you don't mind hacking)

1. Change the key map struct in ir-kbd-gpio.c (you can find the "names" of
the keys you want in one of the include/drivers/input.h files (I think).
Look for codes < 255 or it won't work)
2. Recompile the kernel and modules and install
3. Edit your xmodmap file to map from the keys you hacked in ir-kbd-gpio
to something that you want to use in Myth.
4. Start myth after runing xmodmap with the config file

I'm no expert, and someone will read this and go "you idiot Simon, do it
this way" but it worked for me. I'm getting quite annoyed with this remote
having the direction control mapped over the number buttons, It's a pain
in the proverbial.

Appologies in advance if I don't get back to you. I might miss your mail
as I'm flooded with stuff at the moment.

Simon