[mythtv-users] Some questions about HDTV recording

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Dec 12 20:29:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 01:13:46PM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> I've got my TV running at 1280p already; it seems to work quite well for
> regular tv. Will that not be the case for playing HDTV-encoded programs?

I assume you mean 720p!   If you want to play a 1080i program at 720p,
I think you will need to do some deinterlacing, though since my TV
won't drive at 720p, I have not tested this.

Fox and ABC use 720p directly, the rest use 1080i.

> >d) DVD playing needs to be modified to understand 16:9 TVs
>
> All I had to do (for dvd rips, haven't actually used a disc to playback in
> a long time) is change the mplayer options to include '-monitoraspect
> 16:9'; works quite well here.

Yes, I eventually figured that out.  And I don't want to rag on the
mplayer coders they have done a very good job, but this is just one of
the things that makes it more work to do HDTV PVRs.

Of course, in general that Myth uses its own player for video and another
for DVD and thus you have two different user interfaces is not a design
friendly to the wider audience.

> >j) AC-3 sound is not handled well.  The center channel will be missing
> >sometimes.  Alsa drivers have bugs, and can cause jittery audio or
> >hanging.
>
> AC-3 works fine for DVD rips for me; is it a different case for HD
> playback since it's handled by Myth's audio layer?

Well, I am talking about AC-3 sound into 2 speakers (I presume it doesn't
have a problem into 5.1).   I find that while mplayer does this fine,
the myth player's interaction with the mixer causes problems I can
fix in alsamixer, but I have recently found that the setting may vary based
on the program which is not acceptable.