[mythtv-users] Some questions about HDTV recording

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Sun Dec 12 19:13:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Brad Templeton wrote:
> I'm finding it to be a pain.  Here are some pains I have seen:

[Wow, long list! - thanks! :) Responding to ones I have questions about;
filing the rest away.]

> a) Getting your video card to display on the HDTV can be a lot of work,
> requires pushing the edge, newer drivers etc.  Often this leads to hard
> crashing and upgrade troubles.
>
>    a2) Many HDTVs won't actually take input at 720p.
>    a3) DVI can be harder to get going than other output forms.

> l) Did I mention it can be a bitch to get your card to drive your HDTV
> at 1920 x 1080?   Many people give up and drive at 1920 x 540p (but then
> you get interlace artifacts if not careful.)

I've got my TV running at 1280p already; it seems to work quite well for
regular tv. Will that not be the case for playing HDTV-encoded programs?

> d) DVD playing needs to be modified to understand 16:9 TVs

All I had to do (for dvd rips, haven't actually used a disc to playback in
a long time) is change the mplayer options to include '-monitoraspect
16:9'; works quite well here.

> j) AC-3 sound is not handled well.  The center channel will be missing
> sometimes.  Alsa drivers have bugs, and can cause jittery audio or
> hanging.

AC-3 works fine for DVD rips for me; is it a different case for HD
playback since it's handled by Myth's audio layer?

> And I have heard more.

Thanks again for the list!