[mythtv-users] Epia MII6K vs MII10K for a Frontend

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 10:22:21 UTC 2004

I'm slowly deciding on the components to use for a Myth frontend system. I'm
looking at the Epia MII boards (PCI slot for the DVB-T tuner, probably a
Nova, and a PCMCIA slot for wireless). There will be other backends on the
network so this frontend will only have to handle one stream at a time -
whatever the user currently wants to watch.

My question is about the CPU. The CPU utilisation figures I've seen bandied
around for the 10K with the Unichrome drivers suggest that it has plenty of
spare capacity. Therefore, would a 6K also do the job? The advantage of the
6K is that it is fanless. Silent operation is important - the box will
replace a silent Pace dual tuner PVR.

Thanks,
Phil