[mythtv-users] Resolution for PAL analgue TV

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 09:01:18 UTC 2004

I asked this the other day but it was mixed up with some other questions and
I never got a reply, so I'm just asking this on its own this time.

I'm in Australia so I'm using PAL. I read that the recording dimensions for
PAL should be 720 wide x 576 high, but when I do this I notice that it uses
a lot more CPU (20% more) and the picture quality improvement is only
marginal. Is 720 x 576 right? What do most people set this to on PAL
systems. Also, I thought I should also set the X "modes" and "metamodes"
settings  to 720x576 but it doesn't allow this. Am I trying to do something
stupid here?

Regards,
Phill