[mythtv-users] Re: Impossible to choose Motherboard?

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 01:51:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:13:42 -0800, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:27:37PM +0000, Drew Zerdecki wrote:
> > Thanks for all the help!  At his point, no HD for me, but I do like
> > overkill so I usually price high and if can't muster the $$$ I step back.
> >
> > 1.  Is CPU (AMD/Intel) a matter of preference at this point?  I've
> > always had Intel with no problems?
>

> Normally, no.  In this case, it seems yes.
>
> AMD chips run slower than Intel chips but perform most tasks faster or
> at a similar speed for their marketing number (such as Athlon-3000 matching
> a P4-3ghz even though the Athlon is a 2.2ghz chip.)
>
> But not at everything.  Sometimes raw ghz is what you need, and the P4
> is your chip.  It seems mpeg is one of those things.
> For most other applications I would get an AMD chip -- cheaper, runs
> cooler.  For mpeg and a few other apps, the Intel wins.

Not sure what you're getting at here. He's talking about getting a
PVR-250 or 350. Those record straight to MPEG-2. The raw processing
power you're talking about would really only come into play if he got
a TV tuner that doesn't do hardware mpeg encoding, and then he wanted
to export the recordings to mpeg.

Either AMD or Intel would have plenty of power when it comes to simply
playing back normal standard definition MPEG2 recordings. Especially
with the video card he's talking about.

Lane

--
Meetup with other Myth users!