[mythtv-users] Re: Impossible to choose Motherboard?

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:12:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:27:37 +0000, Drew Zerdecki <dzerdecki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the help!  At his point, no HD for me, but I do like
> overkill so I usually price high and if can't muster the $$$ I step back.
>
> 1.  Is CPU (AMD/Intel) a matter of preference at this point?  I've
> always had Intel with no problems?
> 2.  What about Intel socket types?  socket 468, lga 775.... Which?  Just
> look for hyperthreading.
> 3.  Re chipsets, are they all fine by themselves it's just  that you
> have to check for incompatibilities once you pick what else you are
> going to get?
>
> Thanks again.  I think I am going with a 5200 for s-video out (which
> manufacturer?) and pvr-350's also just in case.  Or one 250 and one 350?

Well to start with, you almost certainly don't need 2 350s. If you
plan to do video-out through the 5200, then you probably don't even
need 1 350. Really, the only reason to go with a 350 instead of a 250
is to display video-out through the 350.

On to the other questions...

1. Mostly, yes. Really, since you're not planning on doing HDTV, I
wouldn't even focus on this question. I would start with a list of
features that you're looking for in a motherboard. Using those
features, create a short-list of mobos that fulfill those
requirements. Then, if it's still relevant, worry about whether you'd
prefer AMD or Intel.

2. Same advice as for #1. (Again, assuming you're not doing HD) Your
Myth box does not need to be a power machine. Some people on this list
are using 600 MHz Epia processors. Others are using PIIIs. You're
gonna be fine with pretty much any modern socket/processor combo.

3. Some mobo chipsets are just not very good for use in a Myth box.
I'm not sure which ones, but a search through the archives should help
you weed out the bad apples.

HTH,
Lane

--